Thursday, November 11, 2010

Evaporation Poems



Evaporation Poems
by Kathleen Norris
from Journey, 2001

1.
I would like to be as mobile as my mind
I had a religious aunt who was
(she flew out a window
into the Ideal).

So much noise:
the water in stems,
the workings of teeth,
intestines. Such
foolishness, she said,
wanting to be free
of breath's rise and fall,
wanting to be
no body.

2.
Transformation
has is price.
Do not dare to say that the water's need
is a simple one,
or that we shall all be changed.

3.
All summer I have watched the water
take whatever shape it can,
whispering "there is the past,
and the future, and between the two of them
you must be careful not to disappear."

Now I see so clearly on the days
when rain turns to snow,
how wind passes quickly
along the surfaces of things,
how calmly it probes this chilly place
where I have moved
with everything I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment